MISSION & VISION
The mission is to create a workforce that will be a catalyst for the attraction of new businesses and provide employment opportunities that will ensure the highest possible standard of living for all Virgin Islanders.
The Governor envisions a dynamic talent development system that develops and sustains a career driven, adaptable and technologically literate workforce. This will be achieved in nine key areas:
- Aligning services with current, transitional and emerging job demand
- Coordinating resources with workforce partners to build a stronger education pipeline that allows for lifelong learning opportunities
- Operating as a talent development system
- Providing incumbent workers with continuing education, training and certification programs that further career development
- Fostering initiatives that facilitate access into the workforce for all individuals – with emphasis on those with barriers to entry
- Working with employers to develop career development ladders within each industry
- Enabling job seekers to pursue career, rather than job opportunities;
- Operating a “Youth Net” to identify and recapture youth dropouts
- Transparency and accessibility to all stakeholders
The Workforce Investment System will consist of partnerships among agencies, faith and community based organizations and the private sector coordinated by the WIB for the purpose of developing accessible employment and training tools and programs in the Virgin Islands high growth areas such as the marine industry, construction, hospitality, healthcare and information technology.
The following goals have been developed as part of the strategy to create a talent development system:
- Empower the Workforce Investment Board as the primary entity on workforce issues – this will ensure coordination among agencies and organizations that are working toward the same goal;
- develop sector strategies for each demand sector;
- develop public/private partnerships to create demand driven training opportunities;
- Ensure that the workforce system is responsive and adaptive to the needs of the populace as well as business community.
The VI Workforce Investment Board will play a pivotal role in attracting, retaining and participating in the growth of business throughout the Territory. By working with the Governor and the Economic Development Authority, the Workforce Board will direct its WIA and non-WIA resources towards training in the areas slated for growth.